All your questions about Teaching Online answered

Work anywhere you want to be! Teaching online gives you the flexibility and freedom to teach from the comfort of your our own home, anywhere in the world.

Get TEFL Certified! As an Online English Teacher, you will be teaching English as a Foreign Language. The best way to prepare for your future career as an ESL Teacher is to receive proper training through a TEFL Certification course.

What is TEFL?

TEFL stands for “Teach English as Foreign Language.” Upon completion of the course, you will be a certified ESL Teacher and qualified to teach English to speakers of other languages. The TEFL course is the best way to receive proper training and really prepare yourself and for teaching English in-person or online.

Where can I get TEFL certified?

You can receive a certification in TEFL in-person or online from the comfort of your own home. The TEFL academy I attended and highly recommend to others is International TEFL Academy (ITA). The benefits of ITA don’t stop once you’re certified! Not only do they give you the training you need to succeed as an ESL Teacher but you also receive lifetime resources as an alum. Whether you need help editing your resume, finding teaching positions, or preparing for a job interview, ITA is with you for life! For more details on TEFL and why I highly recommend you get certified with ITA, please click here.

Will my TEFL Certification ever expire?

One of the best things about getting TEFL Certified is that it’s with you forever. Your certificate never expires and the resources ITA provides never end!

Once you’re certified and ready to start teaching, here is some information you’ll want to know about teaching online.

Click HERE to receive a FREE TEFL brochure and speak with an advisor!

If you enroll using this link, you will also receive a FREE copy of the textbook needed for your TEFL class (originally $45 USD!)

Who can teach online?

Anyone with an open mind and passion to teach! No matter your education, experience, or even your Native language, there are online teaching opportunities for you.

What kind of job can I get online?

There are three options for teaching online

  1. Teach online to students in China
    • VIPKid offers an amazing opportunity for TEFL-certified Teachers. Pay your bills and have the freedom to travel while teaching English online to young learners through a fun and interactive platform.
  2. Create a profile on freelancing websites
    • There are tons of ways to freelance online. A few popular platforms are UpWork, Tandem, or Preply.
  3. Find your own ESL students
    • You can find your own clients by making a website, developing your own online English course, or creating a mailing list.

What if I don’t have a degree?

Don’t worry if you don’t have a degree. There are still many online teaching opportunities available to you. Click here for my recommended list of companies that don’t require a degree.

How does scheduling work?

One of the best things about teaching online is having the freedom to teach as little or as much as you want. With a majority of online teaching platforms, teachers choose their own hours and make their own schedules. You typically open your schedule week by week. With VIPKid, I usually open my schedule 1-week in advance and I try to open a few time slots during their peak hours, which are 7:00-8:30 pm Beijing time. Once I open my schedule, the students (or their parents) will be able to book me for a 30-minute lesson.

What if I want to travel?

Teaching online gives you the freedom and flexibility to be based from anywhere in the world and even travel while you teach. With most companies, you make your own hours and set your schedule. Most don’t require a minimum number of hours. I work for VIPKid and typically open my schedule just 1-week in advance. If you want to take time off, all you need to do is make sure you don’t open your schedule on those days.

What about visas?

Visa requirements differ depending on where you’re from and what country you are entering. As a U.S. citizen, I was able to live in Barcelona for 6-months, in Thailand for 1-month (with an option to renew for a small fee), in Vietnam for up to 3-months, and in London for 6-months. I traveled to these countries on tourist visas. For some countries, you can easily do a “visa-run” to reset your visa, but make sure to do your research before making any travel plans. If you decide to teach abroad in-person, you will be granted a work visa and in that case, be able to stay legally long term. The school or academy may even sponsor your work visa.